If you’ve never tried black bean cakes, you have to give this recipe a try. It is a delicious and healthy option and can be served as an appetizer or a side to a variety of main dishes. Here it is served with a fresh corn pico de gallo as an appetizer. You can even serve as a black bean burger on a whole grain bun as a main dish.
Black Bean Cakes
Serves: 6 Servings
- • 15 oz can of black beans, pureed
- • ¾ cup of bread crumbs
- • 1 tsp cumin
- • ¼ tsp ground red pepper
- • salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- ½ green pepper finely chopped
- small bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Coat a non stick baking sheet with 1 Tbs of olive oil, spreading evenly.
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients together, mixing well. Divide into six equal portions, roll into balls, and form patties.
- Place patties on oiled baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees, flipping halfway through.
- Finish by broiling the cakes on high for approximately 2 minutes on each side.
- These black bean cakes will come out crispy on the outside from being baked in just the small amount of oil but they are not at all dry on the inside. They are great served with so many things or by themselves.