Ask any mom if they’d like to make extra money each month to make ends meet, and they’ll probably tell you yes. Short of winning the lotto, though, this means that you’ll have to work either more hours at the first job or get a second one (and no one wants that). Many people, mostly mothers, look to supplement their income with home‐based businesses, so that they can be home with the kids or have more flexible hours to work around their regular job.
One of the more POPULAR options for home‐based businesses is direct sales – companies like Avon, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, and It Works are a few names I’m sure you’re familiar with. Um, I actually put together an extensive list of some very well‐known direct sales companies that you can take a look at to see which suits you best. Each has their own pros and cons, and obviously you want to do your own research to find out which one works the best for you.
If you’ve been considering direct sales but aren’t sure if it’s something you want to do, take a look at these tips to help you decide if it’s the right opportunity for you.
1. Direct sales businesses are self‐employment, and you can expect to pay more taxes on the money you make than you would with a “regular” job. It depends on which state you live in and how high your tax bracket is, but usually you can figure about 25% of your profits will go to the government (in the US.).
2. If you want to be successful, you will have to work very HARD. Just like any other business owner, you’ll probably find yourself up late at night and early in the morning getting things finished. (If you suffer from insomnia and are reading this in the middle of the night, pay attention because this is probably perfect for you!)
3. Working in the direct sales industry is often a little easier than starting a business doing something else, because you already have a road-map of what to do next. It’s very step by step, and there is a proven way to do things so you won’t make very many mistakes. Also, with most of these types of businesses, you have a coach of some sort. Some programs call them directors, some call them consultants, and some have other names, but basically, the more you succeed, the more they succeed, so they’re happy to help you every step of the way. This is a HUGE plus.
4. You can absolutely make a full time income doing direct sales, but like any other business, it takes time to build. Don’t expect that after a week or two you’ll be able to quit your other job (I know it’s very tempting but it’s not a very good idea). Most companies also offer incentives, like luxury vacations and cars to their top sellers, so you have a lot to work toward as your business grows because some companies would even offer financing a traders insurance to their customers.
5. Be prepared to make an investment. Many direct sales programs offer a discounted startup kit if you host a party or sign up a certain month, but generally you’ll have to pay for initial startup fees, as well as the “regular” expenses, like travel, office supplies, and things like that.
*Startup kits and fees vary between companies.
6. Doing your “own thing” is one of the most rewarding careers you can have. If your child gets sick and needs to see a doctor, you can take them with no fear of being fired. It doesn’t mean that you won’t have rules to follow, but you really have to do something awful to be kicked out of a direct sales company.
HERE’S MY LIST OF COMPANIES…ENJOY!
Ava Gray Direct
It works Distributor
Mary and Martha
Stella and Dot
All in all, if you’re willing to work for it, direct sales can make a huge difference in your income, your social life, and your self‐esteem. Um, there’s really no better feeling than looking over your wondrous accomplishments and feeling pride that you can do it!
Do you currently work with a direct sales company? Which one? Let’s share so we can all know more about each of them!