TALL, DARK AND STOUT CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist devil’s food cake mix
- 1¼ cups stout beer
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Chocolate Frosting
- 12 oz semisweet baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- ½ cup butter
- Caramel Filling
- 6 tablespoons caramel topping
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease bottoms only of three 9- or 8-inch round cake pans. Make cake batter as directed on box, using cake mix, beer, the oil and eggs. Pour about 1½ cups batter into each pan.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, place chocolate in medium mixing bowl. In 2-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream and butter to just boiling over medium heat. Pour cream mixture over chocolate; stir with whisk until melted and smooth. Cover and refrigerate about 3 to 4 hours or until spreading consistency.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Frost top of layer with 1 cup of the frosting. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons caramel topping. Top with another cake layer, 1 cup of the frosting and remaining 3 tablespoons caramel topping. Top with remaining cake layer and frosting. Garnish with chunks of chocolate covered caramels with sea salt, if desired. Refrigerate cake at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.