Do you remember the ice cream truck? You’d hear that infamous jingle and run across the street (with NO shoes on) just to snag a cold treat? Fun times, right? Do y’all remember the bomb pop? I sure do! Red, white, and blue goodness! Yum! Sadly, they’re loaded with sugar and artificial colors. While I want to give my children the fun and whimsical treats of my childhood, I like to sneak in something healthy…trust me, they never realize they are missing anything! I actually prefer these to the sugar sweetened version. Um, these are naturally sweetened with honey, yogurt and fruit (and they blend deliciously). Since these are pretty healthy I am sometimes guilty of letting the kids have them for breakfast. Shh!
PATRIOTIC BOMB POPS WITH FRUIT & YOGURT
- ¾ cup Blueberries
- ¾ cup hulled and sliced strawberries
- 2 tsp. Lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- First, I like to combine my yogurt and honey in the blender to mix well.
- Then divide it into 3 approximately equal amounts into containers.
- Place ⅓ yogurt mixture back in blender and mix with strawberries.
- Fill Popsicle mold ⅓ full with strawberry mix.
- Place molds in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir together ⅓ yogurt and lemon.
- Remove from freezer, pour yogurt and honey only mixture into mold- filling ⅓ in the center.
- Place pops back in freezer for another 20 minutes.
- Finally combine remaining yogurt and blueberries in blender.
- Pour into molds, replace sticks and pop into freezer until solid.
While these are a little bit more work to get the layers together it is totally worth it for pretty final result!